Curriculum Journey: A Subject Leader Angle
BACKGROUND TO THE CURRICULUM JOURNEY: A SUBJECT LEADER ANGLE
Curriculum Development Leader: Mr Denton
'ALWAYS START WITH WHY'
When refreshing our core intent through our 'Start with Why' work back in September 2019 shortly after my appointment as headteacher, it was clear that our curriculum needed personalising to meet the needs and aspirations of our children. Three immediate aspects rose prominently to mind
1) Ensure every subject has an equal position and is created with the subject leaders. They must play a pivotal role in design and its implementation.
2) Give oracy a much greater position by creating a central active purpose for children's learning each term. Make sure our children can build vocabulary, speak, listen and present at every possible opportunity.
3) Build a wider curriculum that has a 'combined cultural capital' at the heart of its philosophy, so that we can aim for our children to attain more aspirational goals in line with their greatest individual strengths and show greater aspirational parity across all subjects.
So here we are after four Covid-19 interrupted terms now into our second 'school open term' of the new curriculum. We have moved from Stage One: What We Learn into Stage Two: How We Learn. We are already evaluating the current work and making revisions and improvements ready for Autumn Term 2021.
WHEN I GROW UP - 'A curriculum for Mayfield' is now in full flight. It is an exciting time of discovery as we study what works well and what will need revision as we move forward. This is a new Mayfield for a new time and, as I say in my welcome message, lets turn the page together and dare to do.
In this section of the website, every leader has contributed to our current position and story. Giving important rationale at every stage and outling why we have moved in the direction we have.
SO OUR CURRENT AND CONTINUING WORK IS...
* Evaluating the initial impact of Stage Two: How We Learn from Summer 2021.
* Preparing further upgrades and revisions for Autumn Term 2021.
* Subject Leaders are building their portfolios of outcomes from this current term.
* Subject Leaders are ensuring each new term meets expectations in terms of progression from prior learning and has appropriate coverage in line with the National Curriculum.
* Subject Leaders are validating and triangulating pupil outcomes to ensure they are consistent.
* TO ENSURE THAT WE CONTINUE TO BUILD A CONSISTENT COMBINED CULTURAL CAPITAL FOR ALL PUPILS THAT IS ASPIRATIONAL AND AT LEAST IN LINE WITH THE PROGRESS AND ATTAINMENT SHOWN IN READING, WRITING AND MATHEMATICS.
Read on for the full unfolding story...