BACKGROUND TO OUR CURRICULUM STORY
Curriculum Managers: Mr McCabe & Mrs McLintock
'ALWAYS START WITH WHY'
When refreshing our vision and curriculum intent through our 'Start with Why' work in September 2019, it was clear that our curriculum needed personalising to meet the needs and aspirations of our children. We are charged with leading this work alongside Mr Denton and have two clear briefs in addition to the above philosophy.
1) Ensure every subject has an equal position and is created with the subject leaders.
2) Give oracy huge prominence. Make sure our children can build vocabulary, speak, listen and present at every possible opportunity - making a literate curriculum that everyone can achieve within must have this.
So here we are on the verge of our Covid-19 delayed implementation. We had initially aimed for April 2020 but have clearly had to move the full school roll-out to September 2020.
WHEN I GROW UP - 'A curriculum for Mayfield' is ready to take its first full step. It will be a term of discovery as we study what works well and what will need revising for Spring Term 2021, but this is an exciting time. This is a new Mayfield for the new decade and, as Mr Denton says in his welcome message, lets turn the page together and dare to do.
In this section of the website, every leader has contributed to our current position and story. Giving important rationale at every stage and outling why we have moved in the direction we have.
SO OUR CURRENT AND CONTINUING WORK IS...
* Completing and studying phase one progression and coverage work with subject leaders on a 1-2-1 basis.
* Creating the supporting environment to celebrate outcomes within the curriculum.
* Planning for enrichment activities in relation to lunchtime and after school hours.
* Monitoring the initial outcomes or the curriculum once underway.
* Ensuring resources are well stocked, represent good value and enable our planned activities to work.
* Finally, to lead our launch events with families, alongside Mr Denton, in the early weeks of the curriculum - this may have to be delayed in person until Covid-19 restrictions allow.
Take a look at our pages about our new theatre, library and active zones - all of which have been carefully planned and designed to help our curriculum happen and make our new Mayfield unique.